Mars Incorporated, the largest global food manufacturing company, may only be known as the company behind various major confectionery products to some. It’s due to the fact that they produce and sell many well known products, a few notable products are namely Snickers, Starburst, Dove/Galaxy, Snickers, M&M’s, Milky Way bars, Mars bars, Skittles, and Twix. However, not a lot of people are aware of the fact that the company also produces animal products such as Pedigrees (canine food) and Whiskas feline food), beverages, as well as other food products.
In 2007, Mars Incorporated went through a major rebranding in which the operation saw massive global changes and in April 2010, Mars announced that it had acquired the brand Alterra Coffee from a local coffee roast in Milwaukee along with its distribution rights. Mars, under the newly acquired brand, followed up the announcement with the release of a few of its latest coffee products shortly after. With a wide range of variety, Mars’ Alterra Coffee offers three types of coffee (blends, single origin, flavored) with five types of roast and taste profile. Not only does the brand give its customers the opportunity to select their favorite roast, the brand also caters to both caffeinated coffee drinkers and decaffeinated coffee drinkers – making it possible for those who are wary of drinking caffeinated beverages to get their cup of joe as well.
Choice and taste for every palate
Mars’ Alterra Coffee boasts a full range of authentic espressos and fresh ground coffee and provides various coffee that is highly guaranteed to appeal to everyone as well as to please varying palates. From 100% whole bean espresso and coffee, whichever coffee you decide to choose in the end, you will be greeted with a refreshing yet satisfying taste. With available options such as light and smooth range of coffee, medium and balanced range of coffee, medium and bright, dark and intense range of coffee, flavored coffee, seasonal flavored coffee, specialty coffee, espresso, and even decaf and decaf espresso –Alterra Coffee has something for everyone!
Light roast, and medium roast coffee
Coffees under the light and smooth category are made of freshly ground Arabica and comes with three variations: Alterra Light House Blend, Alterra, Light Costa Rica, and Alterra Morning Roast. The Light House Blend is a perfect starter, the lightly roasted coffee beans lends its delicious and smooth drink. With and additional Latte Swirl Powder or Milk Froth Powder, this cup of coffee can easily be transformed into a rich and velvety cappucino. Missing your Carribean vacation? You can now revisit the experience with Alterra Light Costa Rica – its 100% Costa Rica coffee beans that are popular for its distinctive sweet flavor will not only wake you up in the morning, but also refresh your mind.
As for the medium and balanced category, Alterra brought up three variants namely Alterra Donut Shop, Alterra Colombia, and Alterra Foundry blend – whereas the medium and bright category only offer one variant that is dubbed Alterra Ethiopia.
- Alterra Donut Shop blend coffee is a classic, that’s for sure. Its balanced notes of berry, caramel, and honey will make you feel nostalgic.
- Colombia blend coffee uses 100% of Colombian beans. Medium roasted, it gives such a fragrant and aromatic coffee. Also known as a great base for numerous caffeinated drink ideas, you may get creative and come up with your own signature blend. Add Real Milk Froth Powder to turn it into a cappucino, or Mars’ Premium Mocha Flavored Dove to make a delicious mocha.
- Alterra Foundry Blend, a medium roasted coffee made of a blend of premium coffee beans. With a hint of molasses and delicious chocolate, this coffee can also be made into cappucino or mocha by adding Real Milk Froth Powder or Dove’s Premium Mocha.
Light and medium roasted coffee are for the weak!
Dark and intense Alterra Coffee are specifically made for those who are into a strong jet black coffee. Offering six most popular and well liked coffees such as Dark Barista Blend, Donut Shop Dark, Dark French Roast, Dark Italian Roast, Dark Sumatra, and the stronger of all: Dark Steel Horse, that also contains flavanols.
- Alterra Barista’s Blend assures any barista will approve of its blend, and it’s not without a reason. The dark roasted Arabica beans yield such a rich and smoky cup of coffee. You no longer need that 10 minute drive to a coffee shop nearby to get your morning dose of caffein!
- Donut Shop Dark, as opposed to its medium roasted counterpart, Donut Shop Dark has a stronger apricot flavors with a rich chocolate finish and delicious caramel undertone which ensures a strong coffee yet without bitter aftertaste whatsoever. The pleasing aroma is one of its greatest selling points.
- Dark French Roast. Every avid coffee drinker has their own favorite cup of coffee, this Dark French Roast is proven to be a classic favorite. Bold, yet hearty with a smoky twist that is nothing short of delicious.
- Dark Italian Roast was initially designed as Alterra Coffee’s base for its specialty coffee, but then relased to the market as is to give customers the ability to create their own unique coffee. With a bold yet earthy notes, Dark Italian Roast may be turned into a delicious Italian Roast Cappucino simply just by adding Real Milk Froth Powder, and Italian Mocha drink by adding Dove Hot Chocolate.
- Dark Sumatra Roast – there is no denying that the Sumatran coffees are the most popular coffee that many coffee enthusiasts claim as their all-time favorite. It has aromatic herbs and woodsy undertones that together make up a flavor profile that is not only extremely unique, but also deliciously complex.Alterra Coffee’s Dark Sumatra Roast definitely delivers its magnificent bold finish.
- Dark Steel Horse is a unique combination of 150 mg of cocoa flavanols and robust coffee beans that are dark roasted – this two ingredient coffee blend was specifically crafted to cater to many hard-workers who need an extremely strong coffee in order to tackle the demanding workload in a very stressful environment. The best thing from this blend is the fact that it does not contain any artificial additives and also does not consist of other additional ingredients other than the two mentioned above – its 150 mg of cocoa flavanols and pure coffee are proven to provide a natural edge that helps increase mental alertness as well as mental clarity.
Love coffee but not sure about plain coffee?
Don’t worry. Alterra Coffee also provides flavored coffee for those who aren’t a fan of plain coffee. Made of fresh ground Arabica, French Vanilla flavored coffee and Hazelnut flavored coffee which tastes will make you question if you have actually been living under a rock because you have never tasted a flavored coffee that tastes so good and perfectly balanced – because nothing is worse than drinking a flavored coffee that is too overpowering. Not only is Mars’ Alterra offers two delicious flavor with balanced coffee profile to go with it, it also offers and sells coffee with seasonal flavor, one seasonal flavor that has just made its come back for this year is the very much loved Alterra Pumpkin Spiced coffee. While it does not depart too far from its coffee brethren in terms of its exclusive use of fresh ground Arabica coffee beans, this special coffee has a nice additional pumpkin spices flavor that you, and pumpkin spiced-anything enthusiasts will definitely fall in love with its nice and homely taste profile.
- Alterra French Vanilla: made of a blend of premium coffee beans that are medium roasted, this coffee has a velvety and extremely creamy profile.
- Alterra Hazelnut: made of a luxurious blend of premium Arabica beans that are medium roasted with additional creamy and nutty flavor from the lightly toasted hazelnut, this drink is not only perfect for you to unwind, it can also be served as a hearty drink during breakfast.
- Alterra Pumpkin Spiced Coffee: ‘tis the season to indulge! Alterra releases a limited seasonal Pumpkin Spice flavor during the holiday season. Who doesn’t love a delicious blend of medium roasted coffee with the proper pumpkin, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg undertones?
Specialty Coffee: nothing short of magical!
If you are the type of coffee drinker that is very adventurous, you may find Alterra Coffee’s specialty coffee products enticing. With just one use of its single package, you will get taken aback by each of its unique taste. The originality knows no bounds! Below is a list of Alterra specialty coffee that you can find in the market:
- Light – Colombia Luminosa
Luminosa means bright, and that is exactly what this coffee is. Made of carefully selected exotic coffee beans from the Huila Region in Colombia, this lightly roasted coffee beans yield a deliciously smooth coffee with a delicate sweet aroma.
- Medium – Cafe Domingo
Made of three Latin American coffee beans which combination yields such a fine texture with a clean finish. This coffee is well-liked for its toffee sweetness.
- Dark – French Roast
- Starbucks Veranda blend
Inspired by the award winning coffeeshop, this coffee has a delicate chocolate flavor with hints of delicious lightly toasted nuts.
- Medium roast – Pike Place
The Pike Place is the complete, as well as a well-rounded coffee. It has everything you ever want from a great coffee – subtle cocoa undertones with delicious nutty flavor that is not only amazing, but also gives you pleasant creamy mouthfeel.
- Dark roast – Caffe Verona
This full bodied coffee acquires its heavy texture from a pure dark cocoa and combination of three different whole Italian coffee beans. Initially made for customers in Seattle, now you do not need to travel miles away to get a taste of this amazing cup of coffee.
Alterra espresso and decaf espresso
Or are you one of those people who firmly believe the saying that says “if it’s not espresso, you drink water – not coffee”? Some coffee lovers do think espresso is the way to go as it has the proper bittersweet taste. Once you are used to great espressos, other type of coffee tastes like a watered down dish water. The superiority of espresso is widely known, and for espresso drinkers, it becomes far too easy for you to notice a bad coffee just by taking one look at your coffee – never mind tasting it.
One of the biggest downfalls that instant or single packet coffee may have to face is often none other than a weak profile taste of coffee once it’s being made. This makes you wonder if there is one single packet coffee out there that truly offers a great, and proper espresso. It may seem impossible to get a proper espresso from a single serve packet of coffee, but once you have tasted Alterra Coffee own Espresso, you might just change your mind. Available in three options: regular espresso, delicate espresso, as well as intenso espresso – you have the opportunity to find the one for you!
You love the taste of coffee but for some reason your body cannot seem to stomach the caffeinated drink? You do not need to completely give up coffee!Alterra Coffee has introduced two product lineups that cater to people like you. Gone are the days where you would decline a delicious cup of coffee, the latest invention has made it possible for you to consume coffee but without the element that causes several discomfort, hence the name – decaffeinated coffee. Mars Incorporated, under its Alterra brand, has specifically crafted Decaf Espresso and its signature Decaf House Blend and Decaf French Roast.
- The signature House Blend now has a decaf version that appeals to many decaffeinated coffee drinkers. Its light roasted premium coffee beans offer you similar taste to its caffeinated counterpart – you wouldn’t even notice the difference!
- Alterra Decaf Espresso is made of three ingredients such as grain, dark cocoa, and brown sugar. Sold as a freshpack of 80 single-serve packets at $57, this tasty coffee is a winner in all fronts!
- Alterra Decaf French Roast
Made of dark roasted premium blend of coffee beans that have been decaffeinated, this coffee will satisfy your needs for coffee. This coffee is also a great coffee base, just add Real Milk Froth Powder to turn it into a delicious cappucino.